When it comes to your car battery, there are several things you can do to prevent a premature battery replacement. Taking care of your car battery will help to ensure it gives you many miles of reliable performance and save you money and time by prolonging the life of your battery.
Interested in Dual Batteries? Read more here.
Car Battery Maintenance Tips:
1) Secure it - Check that your car battery is secured at all times, as vibrations can damage the battery plates. Inspect battery terminals regularly; loose connections can cause breakdowns.
2) Keep it clean - Dirt and dampness can damage your battery and may cause your battery to lose its charge. Dirt becomes a conductor, draining the power. The flow of current will be inhibited if corrosion is allowed to accumulate on the terminals. The battery case and terminals should be checked and cleaned during every service.
3) Drive your car - Leaving your car sitting unused for an extended period of time affects the battery’s charge. Ensure your vehicle is driven on a regular basis to maintain the required level of charge.
4) Regular services - Poor engine condition can overload the battery and reduce its life. Don’t procrastinate when it comes to the recommended service intervals. Ensure the battery charging rate is checked at every service. Under and over-charging a car battery reduces it lifespan.
5) Avoid draining your battery - Leaving vehicle accessories on will discharge the battery. Constant recharging may shorten the life of your battery, resulting in a premature car battery replacement.
6) Avoid jump starting - In newer vehicles attempting to jump start a dead battery can damage the vehicle’s electronics.
7) Level of fluid - If your car battery is the type that requires topping up, check the fluid level on a regular basis. Distilled water is the best kind to add if necessary.
Remember: Car batteries have a limited lifespan, so be sure to have them checked as a part of your car’s regular maintenance.
Gympie - Tin Can Bay - Rainbow Beach - Sunshine Coast | Ph. 0421 214 111
Touring, Camping & Offroad Setups | Custom Fitouts for 4WD’s, Utes, Canopies, Campers | Marine Electrics - Boat Wiring, Accessory Fitting, Full Fitouts | 12 & 24 Volt Solar Setups | Dual Batteries and Battery Management Systems | Batteries and Battery Boxes | Lighting and Accessory Fitting